Carnegie Center is Currently Closed | Hours
Lunch and Learn: “Fairview Cemetery – Then and Now”
Presented by Jim Munford
September 17, 2019  |  Noon – 1:00 PM
Free, but Registration Required

Originally called the Northern Burial Grounds, New Albany’s historic Fairview Cemetery opened on July 30, 1841.  Many of the city’s founding families and important historical figures are buried in this 32 acre park-like setting with more than 30,000 graves. Located at Culbertson Avenue and East Sixth Street, the cemetery is managed by the City of New Albany.

New Albany resident Jim Munford has been the President of Friends of Fairview Cemetery since 2013. A history and genealogy enthusiast, Munford has participated as a Civil War reenactor and is a member of “First Families of Clark County”.

This talk is held in conjunction with “Stories Behind the Stones”, a walking tour of Fairview Cemetery organized by the Friends of Fairview Cemetery and the Stories Behind the Stones Society. Held on September 20 and 21, members of the society dress in period costume and represent noteworthy historical figures buried in the cemetery.

Immediately following the Lunch and Learn program will be an opening reception for the exhibition “A Place of Rare Beauty”: A Sketch of Fairview Cemetery’s History in the Sally Newkirk Gallery from 1:00-2:00 PM. The exhibition will include objects from the cemetery’s history, as well as George W. Morrison’s portraits of historical figures buried in Fairview Cemetery.

Lunch and Learn is a free program, however, registration is required here.  Guests can bring a lunch and the Carnegie Center will supply beverages.


Join our email list